Thursday, March 19, 2015

Interning-The Duck Pond way

I have had the opportunity to be an intern at Duck Pond Cellars. I am the tasting room manager's assistant intern. I am overly grateful for this opportunity since it goes hand in hand with my management major. I fortunately received this opportunity through Shelby Duarte, who went through the OWIE internship last year and is now working for Duck Pond as the Assistant Marketing Director. In the last month or so, I have helped do a lot of little things, and have had the opportunity to sit down with Shelby and learn about the wines that are in the tasting room, the staff and the history of this family ran operation. I am working under Erin Fries, who is one of the family members of the owners. She has been extremely fun to work with and I cannot wait to further my knowledge of wine within this company. It is also a bigger operation than what I have previously had experience with, so this will give me an idea of what I would like to do in the future. and the pros and cons of working in a smaller business versus a bigger business. I am also working on my project, which is building a business plan for a "Western Wine Ways" resort. I will take the knowledge and experience that I have gained in the last 9 months and the help of people in the industry and hopefully come up with a resort that people would enjoy going to. It also is something I am passionate about since I come from the small town of Prineville, OR. I hope to be able to tie the wine industry with that small town feel, because I love them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment